Crowns and bridges are prosthetic dental devices used for restoring decayed and damaged teeth.
What are dental crowns?
Crowns are tooth-shaped caps used to cover the anatomical surface of damaged teeth to restore their color, shape, or alignment. They are made from various materials and each type of crown serves its specific purpose. Porcelain or ceramic crowns are tooth-colored and are generally used to fix the imperfections of front teeth. They are widely used in cosmetic dental procedures to enhance the shape, size, and color of teeth. Gold or metal crowns are used when the back teeth are inflicted with damage. Metal crowns provide the teeth with added strength to restore the natural chewing and biting ability. Crowns are used for:
- Protecting weak teeth with fractures and cracks from breaking.
- Restoring severely decayed and worn-down teeth to their natural look and functionality.
- Supporting teeth with large fillings when a lot of tooth structure has been lost.
- Holding a dental bridge in place.
- Covering discolored and stained teeth to enhance their appearance.
- Covering a dental implant or a tooth that has undergone root canal treatment.
- Making cosmetic enhancements.
- Protecting primary teeth in children. Stainless steel crowns are used to restore primary teeth that are inflicted with decay.
What are dental bridges?
Dental bridges are used when you have one or more missing teeth. They stand true to their name and cover the gap left by missing teeth. They consist of one or more artificial teeth (known as pontics) connected to dental crowns on either both or one side. The artificial teeth fill the gap left by missing teeth and the crowns are cemented onto the teeth (known as abutment teeth) adjacent to the gap. This provides for strong anchoring and prevents the bridge from moving. The benefits of bridges are:
- Restore the aesthetics of your smile by filling the gaps left by missing teeth.
- Prevent the teeth adjacent to the gap from changing positions.
- Support the facial contour and make you look young and youthful.
At Glenn Dental we employ the practices of modern dentistry to systematically repair damage and enhance the appearance of your smile. Dr. Glenn Ong-Veloso and Dr. Joy Helou will design a custom plan for you to meet your individual requirements. We welcome you to contact us at 760-284-3060 to schedule your consultation with Dr. Glenn Ong-Veloso and Dr. Joy Helou to achieve a picture-perfect smile in Apple Valley and California City, California.